Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fostering their loves

Each year we spend countless hours watching Chuckie playing his sports or cheering him on with all the different things that he enjoys.  This year will be no different and we enjoy every second. 

Jada does takes dance classes and because there isn't much of a chance to really cheer her on, I feel like we aren't as involved in her love of dance.  She also is in the school art club and she loves all sorts of art....painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.  She is good at it too.  She is far better at it than I am. 

We already signed Chuckie up for a football camp this summer to help improve his skills and to have some extra football fun.  It is not cheap and we do it because it is something he loves. 

Jada brought home a paper for a summer art camp.  It is located less than 10 minutes away from home and it is for one week. We can choose which month she could go.  I asked her if it was something that she would like to do because if we are paying for Chuckie to participate in a camp that he enjoys, why shouldn't we do the same for Jada? 

She has never asked to do anything like this even though she probably really wanted to.  She worries too much about us spending any money on her.  She deserves this.  She deserves to have this time to do something that she really loves and enjoys.  So, I brought it up to her and asked her if it was something she would like to do.  She was surprised I asked and said that, yes, she would. 

I am excited for her because I am like her.  If I want to do something, I am too cautious and I never ask or pursue it because I almost feel like it is asking too much.  I know in my heart that it isn't but it's just how I'm wired and unfortunately, for Jada, she is too. 

Each of my children are so very dear to me and if there is anything I can do to make them happy (within reason) I will do it.  I want my kids to know that I am here to cheer them on, encourage them and allow them to grow in the areas that they enjoy and want to grow in.  I don't care what it is that they want to do, I will be there, whether it is dance, art, football, basketball and maybe even lacrosse.  I'm still on the fence about that one!

Lincoln is young and really has no interest in playing any sports just yet but when he's ready, so am I. 

Growing up, I was involved in cheerleading and my parents didn't really take an active part in being there to watch me or cheer me on, so to speak.  They worked a lot and maybe just didn't have too much extra time to commit to being there. Iknow that cheerleading isn't the greatest thing to sit there and watch or encourage but it was what I was excited about and into.  I don't have any ill feelings toward my parents about it, I truly don't.  I just want my kids to look up and see me there and know that I am there. 

I am so excited about this summer and all the possibilities with my kids.  They are growing too fast and I need this time with them as much as they need the time with me.  We have a lot of fun things planned for this summer.  Pool days, zoo trips, museums, science centers, picnics, long walks and hikes, camping and anything else our hearts desire!  This is OUR summer and we are doing it OUR way! 

We will be attending football camp and art camp and I couldn't be any happier to take them!!


No comments:

Post a Comment